Volunteer With Pet Orphans!
Adult Volunteer Application Form
Our volunteers are the heart & soul of our organization. You’ll be joining a team of committed individuals working with us toward our mission of rescuing, rehabilitating and re-homing homeless pets.
First, you’ll attend one of our monthly New Volunteer Orientations to learn more about our variety of volunteer opportunities. After attending a Volunteer Orientation, you’ll be invited to sign up for the volunteer training that best fits your interests and schedule. Volunteer Orientations last about an hour.
Junior Volunteer Program
Children ages 14 -15 may enter our Junior Volunteer Program. Without exception, no one under 14 is permitted to volunteer at POSC. Each Junior Volunteer must always be accompanied by a parent or guardian – the same parent or guardian who attended the orientation and training with the Junior Volunteer.
Those who are 16 or 17 are still considered Junior Volunteers, but they only need their parent’s permission to volunteer. Parents do not need to volunteer with their 16 and 17 year olds.
Volunteer Orientations last about an hour. You must pre-register to attend a Volunteer Orientation. Those who are not pre-registered or arrive late will be asked to attend the next available Volunteer Orientation. Email Volunteer Contact for more information.
You must pre-register to attend a Volunteer Training class. Those who are not pre-registered or arrive late will be asked to attend the next available Volunteer Training session. Email Volunteer Contact for more information.
Our Volunteer Opportunities
There are a wide variety of volunteer opportunities at Pet Orphans. Some of our most popular are described below.
Dog/Cat Socializers: Help keep Pet Orphans dogs and cats content by providing necessary attention, playtime and brushing.
Dog Buddies & Coaches & Junior Trainers: Provide exercise and attention to our dogs as well as assist with teaching dogs simple obedience and loose leash walking skills. Open to youth volunteers. Requires additional training.
Adoption Counselor: Assist prospective adopters with the selection of a pet best suited to their family and lifestyle. Requires additional training.
Mobile Events: Take our orphans to community events to increase their chances of adoption and also promoting awareness of our shelter.
Animal Help Assistant: Work with our Animal Help Coordinator to provide great customer service to potential adopters & donors, as well as providing resources for community members seeking help with keeping their animals in their homes.
Internships: We have a variety of internship opportunities available.
Do you have a special talent or skill that you would like to use to help homeless animals? Let us know! We welcome professional help!
Community Service Program:
Community Service (if court ordered) is held on Saturdays and Sundays include assisting employees, cleaning, and other daily duties at the shelter. This opportunity fulfills school or club community service requirements.
- Programs are held on Saturdays and Sundays only
- 8:30 am to 12:30 pm & 1 pm to 5 pm
- You must be enrolled to participate.
- Appropriate attire includes closed-toe shoes with rubber soles, long pants, and a t-shirt.
- Participants depending on age and ability will be assigned various jobs within our facility.
- The program fee is $25 (only if court ordered) per participate per session.
- Participants must be minimum of 14 years old.
- Participants are expected to be on time and volunteer for the entire shift.
- Participants should demonstrate eagerness to help with the shelter and duties, respectfulness to the staff, and the ability to follow instructions.
- Parent or guardian must agree to a signed waiver for child to participate.
- Participants need to be able to participate in all of the physical and learning activities involved in the shift.
- Unfortunately, we are unable to accommodate youth with severe allergies or special needs.
If you are interested in participating you must begin your journey by submitting an application form. Due to the limited space, we cannot guarantee we have available openings that meet your time requirements. Socializing with the animals may or may not occur.
Please email the following information to Volunteer Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Student’s Name
- Parent/Guardian’s Name
- Home phone
- Mobile phone
- Email address
- Number of Hours requested